Safe and Affordable Tonometry Services for your Pet in West Palm Beach, FL
It is crucial for your pet’s vision that we detect and treat glaucoma and other problems with intraocular pressure (pressure within the eye) as quickly as possible. We can test your dog or cat’s eyes for excess pressure easily and safely.
The test, performed with a device called a tonometer, is not painful and does not require sedation. Increased pressure within the eye itself can be extremely painful for your pet and constitutes a medical emergency to prevent rupturing of the eyeball. A specialized instrument is lightly touched to the cornea of the eye to measure the pressures.
This is just one of the ways we care for your pet’s eyes. Additional tests may include Schirmer Tear Test to test for dry eye, or Fluorescein Staining to check your pet’s eyes for ulcers or scratches.
Symptoms of secondary glaucoma, or glaucoma due to secondary eye infection(s), include:
- High pressure within the eye
- Redness of the blood vessels in the whites of eyes
- Cloudy appearance at front of the eye
- Inflammatory debris visible in the front of the eye
- Possible constriction of the pupil
- Possible sticking of the iris to either the cornea or the lens
- Possible that the edge of the iris circularly sticks to the lens
In addition, there may be:
- Headaches, with head pressing to relieve feelings of pressure in the head
- Loss of appetite
- Change in attitude, less desire to play or interact